FBCA Deaf Community

First Family,
The Deaf community has been a focus of First Baptist Church's ministry for many years. We have always been blessed with the passion and support of a congregation to host this ministry, thanks to God's provision. Our church is located just 10 miles away from Gallaudet University, the foremost institution for Deaf education.

Are you aware that the Deaf community is currently the most unreached population globally? Shockingly, out of an estimated 150-250 million Deaf individuals worldwide, only 2% practice Christianity. Sadly, the remaining 98% are missing out on the opportunity for eternal salvation with Jesus Christ. As a result, the Deaf are one of the largest unengaged and unreached communities on the planet.

God’s work is not done!

Thanks be to God that He is on the move at FBCA and helping us overcome these communication, language, and geographic barriers separating Deaf people from him. Do you recall the story of Jesus healing a Deaf man in Mark 7:31-35,

“Then Jesus left the vicinity of Tyre and went through Sidon, down to the Sea of Galilee and into the region of the Decapolis. There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged Jesus to place his hand on him. After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man’s ears. Then he spit and touched the man’s tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, “Ephphatha!” (which means “Be opened!”). At this, the man’s ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.”

What does this passage teach us?

This passage teaches us all to bring Deaf people to Jesus! It doesn’t matter who these people were. What was important about this passage was what they did. They brought the Deaf man to Jesus.

So, how can we help in reaching the most unreached, unengaged Deaf people group within your community and the world?

Communicate with Deaf people.  Every week, members of the Deaf community visit our church. Please ensure that you extend a warm welcome and greet them in our halls and during worship. Let's work together to make FBCA a welcoming and inclusive space for everyone, including those who are Deaf.

Connect Deaf people.  Connect Deaf people you meet with our ministry. Here is our schedule:
                              9:00 a.m. - Fellowship in the hallway of Room 320
                              9:20 a.m. - Sunday Bible Study – Room 321
                              11:00 a.m. - Worship in Room 320
                              (childcare will be in 320D)

More information about the ministry and activities at www.fbcalexandria.org

Pray.  Include Deaf individuals in your prayers.

As Jesus commanded in Matt. 28:19-20, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” The expansion of God's kingdom includes the Deaf community.

Servant for His Glory,

Pastor Robert




no categories


no tags